Georgia Boy Fatally Electrocuted While Playing Football

As reported by Ashley Osborne and WJBF in Augusta, Georgia, a boy was fatally injured in an electrical accident this week. The electrical accident occurred while the 12-year-old was playing football with friends. When the ball was thrown over a fence, the boy attempted to scale the fence to retrieve the ball. Unknown to the boy, a live power line was in contact with the fence, thus electrifying it with high voltage electricity. When the boy touched the fence attempting to climb it he was electrocuted, receiving a fatal electrical shock. Two other children were transported to the hospital for treatment.
Read More

OSHA Imposes $331,101 Fine Against Pennsylvania Contractor for Electrical Accident Involving Fatal Electrocution of Employee

The federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration has levied a hefty $331,101 fine against Insight Pipe Contracting, a Pennsylvania piping contractor, for an electrical accident involving the electrocution of an employee during sewer work at a Johnstown construction site. The accident occurred when a forklift being operated by the employee came into contact with energized overhead power lines at the site. The accident also injured two co-employees. In the second of two citations, OSHA issued a proposed penalty for allowing employees “to work in proximity to electric power circuits’ and for not protecting the workers “against electric shock by de-energizing and grounding the circuits or effectively guarding the circuits by insulation or other means.” In its first citation, OSHA claims that the contractor failed to certify that each employee had been properly trained and evaluated for the workplace activities being performed at the time of the incident.
Read More

Michigan Utility Worker Killed in Electrical Accident

As reported by Beth Milligan and Traverseticker.com, a 51 year old utility worker was killed in an electrical accident on October 5. The worker, James Farrington, was killed when he contacted a power line carrying 7200 volts of electricity. Farrington was an experienced journeyman lineman with decades of experience in that position while working for three Michigan electric companies. Details regarding the accident are not yet available. The incident is being investigated by the man’s employer, Consumers Energy, as well as the Michigan Occupational Safety and Health Administration.
Read More

Report finds extensive underreporting of work-related injuries and deaths to OSHA

A report issued by the United States Department of Labor Office of Inspector General has concluded that employers are underreporting serious work-related injuries and deaths to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration in violation of existing OSHA regulations. In January 2015, OSHA made substantive and comprehensive modifications to employer reporting requirements for work-related fatalities and incidents involving severe injuries.
Read More